Certificate Course Information
MHCA offers a number of certificate courses for our members, which are hosted at our facility in Augusta, Maine. For details about upcoming sessions, you can either visit the Schedule of Upcoming Programs page on our website and scroll down to Certificate Courses or click here to download the latest edition of our Education Quarterly publication. To print the Registration/Invoice Form you may click here. Here’s a brief description of these programs:
- Personal Support Specialist (PSS) Course: The PSS course is designed for unlicensed, entry-level workers. Successful completion of this course satisfies the requirements in the State of Maine to provide direct care for individuals living in a residential care facility. For more information, click here. [Offered quarterly.]
- Certified Residential Medication Aide (CRMA) Course: The CRMA course is designed for unlicensed workers who wish to pass medications in certain types of assisted housing programs in Maine. CRMA certification is valid for 2 years. For more information, click here. [Offered quarterly.]
- CRMA Recertification Course: The CRMA Recertification is a competency-based program designed to test an individual's proficiency with passing medications. It includes a transcription exercise, mock med passes, and a final exam. The course also serves as a Bridge for those who wish to upgrade their CRMA qualifications from a 24-hr to a 40-hr certificate. To Recertify or Bridge, students must provide a copy of their current CRMA Certificate and a photo ID. [Offered quarterly.]
- ServSafe ® Food Safety Program for Managers: The ServSafe course was developed by the National Restaurant Association to prepare individuals for the ServSafe ® Food Protection Manager Certification exam. ServSafe certification is valid nationally and recognized for a period of 5 years. [Offered twice a year.] Click here for more information.
Here’s some additional resources pertaining to certificate courses and other certifications required in the State of Maine:
- CRMA / PSS Certificates: Certificates are issued by the State of Maine and are available online through the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Services (DLRS) website. Click here for more information.
- CRMA Recertification Study Guide: The Fortitier Study Guide was created specifically to help students prepare for CRMA Recertification. You may click here to download your copy of the guide.
- Statewide (CRMA/PSS) Training Schedule: You will find the statewide training schedule posted on the DLRS website. For more information, click here.
- Activity Coordinator Certification: To serve as an Activity Coordinator in a skilled nursing facility or nursing home you must be either (1) a registered occupational therapist, or (2) an occupational therapy assistant, or (3) a qualified therapeutic recreation specialist, or (4) complete (or be enrolled) in a State approved training program. Click here for more information.