Maine Veterans' Homes is seeking a Controller. The Controller is responsible for overseeing all MVH accounting functions and the preparation of financial statements in accordance with the Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) principles. The Controller oversees Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll, and Budget & Reimbursement functions for MVH. Directly supervises Assistant Controller, Accounts Receivable Manager, Payroll Manager, Staff Accountants and Accounting Assistant. Controller assists Chief Financial Officer on various projects, as required.
Job Related Responsibilities and Activities:
- Supervises and directs the activities of assigned staff. Provides technical leadership & support and conducts annual reviews.
- Works closely with the Chief Financial Officer, Facility Administrators and financial staff to develop and implement system-wide financial policies and procedures. Assists in standardizing the methods in which financial department work will be accomplished.
- Helps to establish and maintains a system of financial record keeping including ledgers, recording payments, posting to journals, preparing and making bank deposits, etc.
- Oversees preparation of monthly financial statements. Insures financial statements are completed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Meets monthly with the Chief Financial Officer and Finance staff to review monthly financial statements and discuss variances from budget.
- Prepares and oversees preparation of all audit work papers for annual audit by independent CPA firm. Oversees and coordinates on-site annual audit, is liaison between auditors and MVH, and follows-up on and resolves auditor questions.
- Oversees and helps prepare annual operating and capital budgets for presentation to MVH Board of Trustees.
- Oversees cash flow for MVH system by maintaining and preparing reports of the Maine Veterans' Homes operating cash account, credit line and investment account, to insure that funds are available for payment of accounts payable and payroll. Provides updates to the Chief Financial Officer, as required.
- Oversees preparation of annual Medicare and Medicaid cost reports. Oversees preparation of interim Medicare and Medicaid cost reports as needed.
- Insures all cost report work papers for audit by Medicaid and Medicare auditors are provided in timely manner. Follows-up on and resolves auditor questions, as required. Compiles documentation necessary to appeal audit adjustments made by Medicaid and Medicare auditors and submits same.
- Provides overall guidance to all MVH facilities regarding the proper tracking of Medicare and Medicaid statistical and financial information.
- Maintains vigilant oversight and direction of all Medicare and Medicaid related activities throughout the MVH system to insure maximization of reimbursement and compliance with all applicable laws.
- Oversees compliance of VA Stipend program to insure proper accountability and continuation of revenues. Compiles VA Stipend data by facility and reconciles on a monthly basis and prepares a report, to insure Stipend Revenues are classified appropriately.
- Oversees tracking of all construction project costs to insure that coding documentation, reporting and reimbursement requests are completed properly and in accordance with the VA and other grantor regulations and restrictions.
- Oversees preparation of annual IRS Form 990.
- Develops forms for use in tracking statistical data for Medicaid and Medicare purposes, gathering financial data from facilities to central office, tracking census trends and other miscellaneous financial forms as requested.
- Prepares financial and statistical reports as required.
- Maintains documents/records in accordance with standard accounting practices, MVH’s policies and procedures, and compliant with state, federal and VA regulations and accreditation agencies.
- Completes all administrative responsibilities inherent in the position and as required by Maine Veterans' Homes policy and procedure in a professional, accurate and timely manner.
- Performs other reasonably related duties assigned by the Chief Financial Officer.
MVH offers competitive wages and a customizable benefits package. Options include employer-contributed medical, dental and vision, company-paid life, short-term and long-term disability, supplemental insurance options including life and accident, dependent and medical flexible spending accounts, participation in the Maine Public Employee’s Retirement System, 403(b) plan with employer match, generous earned benefit time, continuing education opportunities and tuition loan assistance, robust wellness incentive program, and several employee discounts and programs available through payroll deduction.
Maine Veterans’ Homes is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to serving Maine’s Veterans and families. We take great pride in our mission to “care for those who served”. All six of our homes have been recognized by the American Health Care Association with awards for Achievement in Quality, placing them in the top five percent of nursing homes across the nation.
||Maine Veterans' Homes
|Posting Start Date:
Education / Training / Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting is required. CPA designation preferred. Position requires a minimum of ten years’ experience in the Accounting field, to include supervision, with progressively increasing responsibilities. Must have a minimum of five years’ experience related to Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement issues in a health care environment.
Essential Skills & Knowledge of the Job:
- Must have a thorough knowledge of all aspects of the MaineCare and Medicare programs.
- Knowledgeable of federal, state, and VA regulations for residential, skilled and long-term care.
- Documented record of success with maximization of Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement and containing Medicare and Medicaid expenditures for nursing and residential care facilities.
- Successful record of staff supervision and development.
||This listing expires on: 2/6/2023