Start Date: 7/12/2022 1:00 PM EDT
End Date: 7/13/2022 2:30 PM EDT
Venue Name: Virtual - Zoom Location:
ME United States
Activity Professional’s Workshop – Activity Salad Bowl
Part 1 – July 12, 1:00-2:30PM
As the case mix within our homes continues to change, Activity Professionals must be armed with the skills to serve a diverse population. This workshop explores the emotional factors that impact quality of life for residents. Join us to strengthen your skills to assess, design, and deliver meaningful person-centered activities for a multi-generational population.
Part 2 – July 13, 1:00-2:30PM
- Explain how to support the emotional needs of residents
- Identify at least 3 barriers to activity service and 3 potential solutions
- Describe how to apply activity engagement strategies to nurture inclusion and build community across the life span
Building off the concepts outlined in Part I, this section will take a deeper look into specific populations within senior communities. Participants will review elements of Trauma Informed Care and stigma with the goal of building collaboration with residents. Participants will explore the unique strengths and desires of residents living with Mental Illness, Substance Use Disorders, Multiple Sclerosis, and Developmental Disabilities. Gain new tools to set each resident in your home up for success.
- Give 3 examples of specific symptoms and solutions for people living with Multiple Sclerosis
- Summarize the 4-point recovery initiative from SAMHSA for persons living with Mental Health or Substance Use Diagnoses
- Take one activity and construct an approach that demonstrates an adaptation which supports resident engagement.
is a healthcare catalyst, who promotes the benefits of purpose, exploration, play, and elements of human wellness. She is a graduate of Wesley College and Gwynedd Mercy University with an emphasis in Gerontology. A devoted Activity Practitioner for over 30 years, Nancy designs, and delivers products and speaks nationally. She has released her second sensory activity engagement workbook, That Makes Sense! Sensory Ideas to Refresh Life in 2021.
Nancy volunteers on the NAAP Education Council, is nationally NCCAP certified and is an approved MEPAP instructor. Nancy continues to serve older adults in an acute, co-occurring program in suburban Philadelphia.
To view the program flyer, please click here
To view MHCA education policies and procedures, please click here
To register, please click here