Infection Prevention Trainings and Resources
There are a few useful infection prevention trainings available for long term care staff.
- Maine's Core Infection Preventionist Training Program
- 8 hours long
- This 8-hour course provides instruction on the use of standard precautions, droplet and airborne precautions, and when to use each. It will demonstrate proper hand hygiene and provide information about employing personal protective equipment for infection prevention. Additionally, it will discuss safe handling of potentially contaminated equipment or surfaces in the resident environment. This course is recommended for infection preventionists, nurses, directors of nursing, and others in extended care facilities involved in the prevention and control of infection.
- Certification in Infection Prevention and Control, or CIC
- Through Maine's tuition remission program, MaineDOL can offer support for staff at long-term care facilities to take a CIC prep through APIC ($400) (or another service provider if preferred) as well as the price of the test ($410). To request this training (or others) employers would need to fill out this quick form to be connected to the Healthcare Training for ME team.
- AHCA/NCAL Infection Preventionist Specialized Training (IPCO)
- The course is open to AHCA/NCAL members for $450 and non-members for $650.
- 25 contact hours
- AHCA Infection Preventionist Specialized Training (IPCO) is a specialized course of study for healthcare professionals who desire to serve as Infection Preventionists (IPs) as established in the CMS Reform of Requirements of Participation for Long Term Care Facilities. Through this program, individuals will be specially trained to effectively implement and manage an Infection Prevention and Control Program in a nursing center.
Staff contact: firstname.lastname@example.org