CDC Releases PPE Burn Rate Calculator and Updates Infection Control Recommendations 03/30/2021This week, the CDC updated its interim infection prevention and control recommendations to nursing homes. In addition, the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Burn Rate Calculator?- Version 2 is available to download now. Version 2 of the PPE burn calculator has more options for users to enter and view PPE data and more capability to meet the needs of large companies and facilities with complex inventory needs.
Enclosed in the updated Infection Prevention guidance includes:
- Visitation and physical distancing measures.
- Health department notification criteria to be consistent with Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologist guidance for reporting.
- Information on importance of vaccinating residents and HCW
- Proper use and handling of personal protective equipment (PPE). Including the universal PPE use to align with the?interim infection prevention and control guidance for HCP.
- A description of when it may be appropriate for a resident with a suspected COVID-19 infection to “shelter-in-place”.
- Considerations for situations when it might be appropriate to keep the room door open for a resident with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 infection.
- Management of residents who had close contact with someone with COVID-19 infection, including a description of quarantine recommendations (resident placement, recommended PPE, and duration of quarantine).
- Addressing circumstances when quarantine is recommended for residents who leave the facility.
- Responding to newly identified COVID-19 infected resident or HCP.
- Addressing quarantine and work exclusion considerations for asymptomatic residents and HCP who are within 90 days of resolved infection.
Staff Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org