Requesting Waivers for Physician Delegation/Visits
- By: Danielle Watford
- On: 05/05/2022 09:08:24
- In: Quality/Regulatory
In this memo, CMS stated that providers are expected to take immediate steps so that they may return to compliance with the reinstated requirements according to the timeframes listed below. Several homes have shared their concern regarding the end of waivers related to physician delegation and visits. Specifically, these waivers were to allow:
- Physician Delegation of Tasks in SNFs - 42 CFR §483.30(e)(4)
- CMS waived the requirement that prevents a physician from delegating a task when the regulations specify that the physician must perform it personally. This waiver gave physicians the ability to delegate any tasks to a physician assistant, nurse practitioner, or clinical nurse specialist, but specified that any task delegated under this waiver must continue to be under the supervision of the physician.
- Physician Visits - 42 CFR §483.30(c)(3)
- CMS waived the requirement that all required physician visits (not already exempted in §483.30(c)(4) and (f)) must be made by the physician personally. The waiver modified this provision to permit physicians to delegate any required physician visit to a nurse practitioner, physician assistant, or clinical nurse specialist who is not an employee of the facility, who is working in collaboration with a physician, and who is licensed by the State and performing within the state's scope-of-practice laws.
- Physician Visits in Skilled Nursing Facilities/Nursing Facilities - 42 CFR §483.30
- CMS waived the requirement for physicians and non-physician practitioners to perform in-person visits for nursing home residents and allow visits to be conducted, as appropriate, via telehealth options.
In this waiver request homes should outline the following:
- Explains why they need the waiver;
- How they intend to eventually come into compliance with the CMS requirement for doing in-person visits; and
- how long they want the waiver (note that CMS generally grants waivers for 6mos).
Staff Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org