NSHN Up to Date Vaccination Status: Surveillance Definition Change for LTC Facilities
- Individuals are considered up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines during the surveillance period of September 26, 2022 – December 25, 2022 (Quarter 4) for the purpose of NHSN surveillance if they meet ONE the following criteria:
- Received a bivalent booster dose OR
- Received their last booster dose less than 2 months ago, or
- Completed their primary series less than 2 months ago
- This definition is the same regardless of immunocompromised status
Beginning September 26, 2022, most individuals should only be counted as up to date if they received an updated bivalent booster dose. If they have not received an updated bivalent booster dose, they WOULD NOT be counted in question #5. The CDC recommends revising the report if facilities have reported incorrectly over the last few weeks.
It is recommended to utilize the Person-Level (Event-Level) Vaccination Forms. There are resources on the page to provide instructions and templates for reporting, including a one-page overview with links.
The webinar slides have additional information and reporting scenarios for clarification.
Please make sure you are accurately capturing your up to date residents per the definition above.
Staff contact: firstname.lastname@example.org